Seriously though, I attribute my interest in getting in shape and gaining the ridiculous strength I have today (over 225 pounds on flat and incline bench, over 200 pounds on military shoulder press, etc. etc.) to my roommate from that freshman year, Thiago. Thiago was a very, very laid back dude from Miami. He was really good at soccer, proudly emphasizing his Brazilian heritage, and he was also a little guy - about 5'8", 135 pounds. But he could do 275 pounds on the flat bench! The most I have ever gotten was about 265, and that was when I weighed about 155 pounds about a year ago. I was shocked and awed by this sheer demonstration of power, so I started to work out with him at home, and occasionally in the gym too. A few short years later, and I was pumping over 200 pounds myself (from the 115 that I could barely get in 1999).Here is a workout that I developed a few years ago based on my work-out-at-home experiences with Thiago that you can try (or should try).
It should take about 45 minutes to 1 hour if you're quick, but I usually do this while watching TV so I take a lot longer hehe.
3 parts: Pushups, Dips, and Crunches
This workout is divided into three separate parts, so you get a great full-body workout!
First, Chair Pushups.
I do three kinds of pushups (actually I do variations of each type, so there are actually a lot more than this, but three basic kinds).

A) Set up three chairs, two in front, facing each other, and one in back, facing the chairs in front. The two in front should be about shoulder width, and set up the one in back so you have solid footing without wobbling. Prop your body up on the three chairs, hands on the front two and feet on the back one. Now, you do 3 sets of pushups, at a comfortable, steady pace, focusing on getting a full extension and getting an equal number of reps in each set. Start with 5-6 repetitions, and as that gets easy, gradually increase your repetition load to 15, 20, 30 reps. In between sets, rest 2-3 minutes, or until you are ready.
B) Now, remove the front two chairs, but still prop your legs up on the back chair. Your body is now declined, putting more weight on the upper part of your chest. Again, do three sets of pushups, at a reasonable repetition load.
C) Now, bring the two front chairs back, and remove the back chair. Now, more pressure is on the lower part of your chest. Do another 3 sets of pushups, at a reasonable repetition load.Remember, start with a repetition load for which you can finish all 9 sets. Gradually increase your load as you get stronger. If you can do 30 repetitions for all 9 sets, that is really good. You can do variations of these types by bringing the front chairs closer together or farther apart to work your arms more, or work your chest more.
Next, move on to the Dips.

Dips are a great exercise for developing the lower part of your chest and your triceps. I only have one type. Place two chairs, facing each other, far apart enough so you can't sit in one and put your feet upon the other. Prop your feet up on one chair, and support your body with your hands on the other chair, so that your body is in an L-shape. Lower your body until your upper arms are parallel to the ground (or until they are uncomfortable), and push yourself back up. Again, when you first start to work out, do 5-6 reps. Week by week, increase your repetition load until you reach about 30 reps.Lastly, the crunches.
I do 3 supersets, which consist each of 6 subsets.
A) Feet firmly on the ground, hands behind your head, elbows flat. Bring your upper body up to the natural stop, maybe a little further, but you don't need to do a full situp. Do about 7-8 repetitions.
B) Bring your feet midway up, such that your lower legs (the calf part) are parallel to the ground. Do another 7-8 crunches this way.
C) Legs straight up, perpendicular to the ground. Do another subset of 7-8 reps.D) Back to the midway point, another subset.
E) Lay both legs down on your right side, and work the side muscles (obliques, I think they're called), another 7-8 reps.
F) Lay both legs down to the left side, and finish with the last subset.Gradually increase the load. At first it will seem pretty easy, but when you repeat a lot it gets tiring very fast. Aim to get 15 repetitions per subset.
And that's it! If you work with this 3 days a week, you will notice an increase in strength in just a few months, and also your physique will improve. It will hurt a lot at first, but you get over it in just 2 or 3 weeks. I use this workout when I can't get to a gym, and you can use it too whether you're an experienced weight trainer or just beginning to work out to get in shape! So, good luck with it, have fun, work hard, and, as Thiago would say, "Take it easy, bro!"

Let me know if you have any questions about this workout or anything else!
1 comment:
There's also that crunch workout, similar to the one where you have the legs perpindicular to the ground, except...
Have your body laying entirely on the ground, and raise your legs and upper body up, so now your legs and upperbody are perpindicular (or almost) to the ground.
Post a Comment